Sunday, April 24, 2011

Meditation: Plans!

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
~Mary Oliver

I saw this quote on the top of the Ink Stains blog and it resonated... on the eve of my birthday I'm pondering my existence.

 
Life really is fleeting - you never know what day will be your last. I want to fill my days with special moments of connection, with creative bursts of energy, with music, with dancing. I recognize that there are so many things that I love to do (like reading and watching movies, knitting and sewing, playing the koto or performing in a play, and even blogging) that ultimately won't be my crowning glory. I can't imagine I'll be on my deathbed looking back and thinking, "I'm so glad I read The Help and wrote that post on planning what to do with my life..."

And yet, those little things are part of what makes my life so fulfilling. The past thirty three years have been pretty good. I think I've had a pretty solid plan from the start, but it continues to be modified. And while my current plan is to strive to live in the moment, take time to smell the roses (and help them grow), help a person in need, find peace and tranquility, laugh a lot, expand myself, and most importantly, enjoy every precious second with the people I love - I'm also going to continue to enjoy those less-important moments and simple pleasures like working with a really fine wool, sewing up a cute little dress for a niece, and refining my writing and communication skills through little blog posts (but try to not let them interfere with the big stuff!). How that for ambitious? Hey, I'm thirty-four and feeling mighty fine, so why not!? Hurrah for another year!

No comments: