Sunday, August 22, 2010

I look like a vampire

But not the sexy Twilight kind.


My eyes are SO red, puffy, irritated and bloodshot from allergies. I have developed allergies in the past few years (since I moved in across from a field full of hay), but nothing this severe. My eyes are incredibly itchy and rubbing them offers temporary relief, but also further irritates them and makes them hurt even more.

My nose has taken a beating, too. All the blowing has resulted in several bloody noses and a constant itchy, dry feeling.

I have avoided any kind of medicine since having Olive, but it got so bad last night that I popped one of my husband's Allegra pills to ease the discomfort. I  read on BabyCenter that Allegra was safe to take while breastfeeding, but am wondering if this is really true. Do any of you out there have any advice on this or know of any natural remedies?

6 comments:

Kendra said...

Not sure of any natural remedies but I do take Patanol eye drops for a prescription as my eyes can get terribly red with brutal itching and discomfort. The Patanol works wonders but I would be curious to hear some natural remedies as I would love to switch. As for the nasal stuff, try a neti pot - feels and sounds wierd at first but works very well to clear out your nose.

Grasshopper said...

M - kendra is right, try the neti pot. i use it pretty regularly and at first it kind of burned, but now i love the way it feels. i'll ask around about some other natural remedies - you've heard about taking local honey and you may want to try acupuncture... and avoiding dairy and other common allergens as they may overwhem your system.

Kumi said...

I wonder if it came from Bonno or a carpet cleaner???

Michelle said...

There is an awesome book that has all the studies regarding medications and breast with the AAP recommendations- your pediatrician should has one. Each medication has about 2 pages of info. It's such a great book, I think it's called medications and mother's milk ,or something. Good luck!

Michelle said...

.. .medications and breast milk . . . Sorry about the typo

Bekah said...

NeilMed! It helps flush things out. My husband uses it almost everynight. http://www.neilmed.com/usa/adword_sr.php?gclid=CI7y79XZ0KMCFRScnAod6Smpvw