Thursday, November 1, 2012

oishii: lactation cookies

At first I thought it was a joke when my next-door neighbor Heather sent over a bag of delicious oatmeal cookies claiming that they were "lactation" cookies. But then my friend Elizabeth sent over a bag of her version as well. It was the first I'd ever heard of such a thing. A quick Google search (isn't that how we confirm everything these days?) revealed that there is some substance behind a milk supply-boosting cookie, largely thanks to the oats, ground flax seed and brewer's yeast in the ingredients. Add some chopped nuts (and okay, lots of sugar) and you have a powerhouse of a cookie. 
PapaQ claimed they were so delicious that even he was starting to feel his mammaries swell. How nice would that be? Then I could have some help with those nighttime feeding sessions.

You can read a bit more about lactation cookies and find variants on the recipe on the Peaceful Parenting blog and the  Progressive Parent blog. If you're too pooped from those midnight feedings and  don't have the time or energy to make them yourself you can always order them from Yummy Mummy Cookies or from Milk Makers. Two batches was not enough for me so I went ahead and made myself some more (folding the laundry can wait!). 

Not that I really need help boosting my milk supply (I am soaking through those nursing pads like a demon and everything around me smells like breast milk). But no matter, these cookies are good for you and whether or not they are contributing to my over-production, they are perfect for snacking in between meals. I imagine they are good for you even if you are not nursing (as evidenced by dear hubby) so go ahead and indulge. But don't hold me responsible if you start leaking...
Fontana di Nettuna in Italy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hah! that is a great picture you found. c:

eileen said...

oh, what find! i will def. have to try these out someday if i find myself with a baby to nurse :)