Wednesday, November 28, 2012

yarn along

Joining Ginny over at Small Things for the regular Wednesday Yarn Along!
Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? ~ Ginny Sheller from Small Things

PapaQ came home from running some errands last week and presented me with a small gift that he picked up at Barnes and Noble.  Isn't that sweet?  Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson was a charming and quick read. Made me even more in love with the British and even more determined to go and visit that lovely island across the Atlantic (I know, it is shameful how little I've traveled the world). I enjoyed the book, though was a teensy bit disappointed in the ending. I'll try not to ruin it for anyone, but really... aren't we past (love) stories where the (white) man plays the knight in shining armor and rescues the damsel in distress (who is perfectly capable of saving herself, thank you very much. Why on earth doesn't she? Is this another nod toward white colonialism that is justified in "saving" the savages)? The characters were so well-drawn and interesting until the end. If you've read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Other good reads include a bit of poetry by Richard Wilbur and Mary Oliver. I've been trying to expand my cooking repertoire, thus the cookbooks. And I'm still working on Pink Brain, Blue Brain, though Major Pettigrew trumped it this past week. But it is so comforting to have a shelf-full of books to turn to while I'm breastfeeding or have a moment to myself.

As for knitting... well, I get a few rows done here and there on the sweater, but no major progress. Ah, dear me, I'll be lucky if I finish before Christmas, which means all the other projects in my queue will have to wait until the new year. So much for giving everyone handmade gifts this year. That's always a bit of a pipe dream anyhow, but now that newborn twins have been thrown into the mix it is doubly so!

Hope you've been enjoying some cozy, good reads and a creative outlet as well. xo!

2 comments:

momto5 said...

i haven't read the book, but i love your review of it.
that is a very big pile of books. lol
sometimes those handmade gift lists are sooo long!

Pomegranategrl said...

That yarn is such a lovely shade of pink! And those books...I have to check out the "not your mama's slowcooker!"