Monday, November 26, 2012

the perfect tree



Despite dropping temperatures we made it out for our second annual tree-cutting. I went along for the ride and even managed to get out with both the twins strapped to me in the Moby wrap, but it was so cold and they were crying that we quickly retreated to the minivan and cranked up the heat and the Christmas music, nursed a bit, and did the proper ooh-ing and aah-ing when Mayumi and PapaQ returned dragging the most beautiful tree!
A quick drive down to the farm market was in order. While the strapping young lads there shook and baled our tree we indulged in hot cider and donuts and picked up some apples to take home. Since then there has been much merriment as the decorations have gone up.
What is it about a Christmas tree? Those gleaming lights, the ornaments collected through the years, those fragrant evergreen boughs...
Well, no one really wants to hear me wax poetic, so perhaps you'll welcome Mary Oliver's words:


When I Am Among the Trees
When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness,
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.
I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.
Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."
~ Mary Oliver ~

Oh, to become closer to the hope of myself! I love how a Christmas tree indeed invites one to stop and stay awhile. Those twinkly lights, so hypnotic and soothing. 
More tree loveliness to come!

2 comments:

Kumi said...

Beautiful poem!

Pomegranategrl said...

She is so darn cute with those pig tails! I get a giggle of you sitting in the back of the minivan nursing and singing along to the Christmas tunes...a moment to savor and great story for years to come!