Monday, September 27, 2010

Meditation: No Regrets

Your past is always going to be the way it was. Stop trying to change it.
~anonymous
Have you ever wished you could go back in time knowing what you know now and change things in your life? I've actually spent hours brooding on this - wishing I could turn back the clock and fix things, or undo mistakes that I made. Of course, it is a futile endeavor, and even harmful isn't it? Regret is a horrible feeling and I'm constantly finding I need to train myself to accepting my past as what has made me who I am today (for better or worse) and focus on the future and how I can make better choices from here on out.

As a parent, though, do you find yourself hovering over your child, wanting her to avoid getting hurt? You don't want her to make the same mistakes you did, right? You don't want her to suffer! But I suppose that is part of living and becoming a wiser, kinder, more empathic human being. She needs to learn things for herself and grow into the person she chooses to be (not who I choose her to be!).

2 comments:

Kendra said...

A good reminder for all of us! It is so easy to get stuck in the past...

Ye Stewart Clan said...

I really needed to read that. It is so hard to do though and so easy to say. I don't know that I will ever learn this one.