Sunday, December 5, 2010

Bah Humbug

Some are going to call me a Scrooge for what I'm about to write, but I'm writing it anyways because I'd like to know your honest thoughts.

I don't want to lie to my kid(s) about Santa Claus.

I don't want to tell them this jolly old man will bring them presents if they're nice, but not if they're naughty. I don't want to bribe them. I don't want to make the focus on presents when it should be on Christ.

Besides the fact that lying is wrong and that Christmas is completely over-commercialized, I don't want teach my kids about Santa because I really and truly think he shouldn't be a part of Christmas. When we give gifts, we are following the example of the wise men who brought gifts to the baby Jesus. When we volunteer at the soup kitchen or participate in a Sub-for-Santa, we are following the example of the Savior, who served the poor and needy. Where and why does Santa come in?

Instead of teaching children to have good behavior so they can get lots of presents, we should be teaching them that their charity and love towards others is the gift they can give in honor of Jesus's birth day.

I told my husband that if he wants to lie to our children, he can, but I'm having nothing to do with it. He thinks I am cruel and will ruin my daughter's childhood, along with the childhoods of many other kids when Olive breaks the news to them that Santa isn't real. She'll only be 11 months old this Christmas, so I really won't have to deal with this issue for at least another year, but I guess it's not too early to start thinking about it.

How do you handle this issue with your children?

(*stay tuned tomorrow for MamaQ's response!)

4 comments:

Kendra said...

While I have no kids yet..I do see your point. But, I remember being completely mesmerized by Santa and the fact that he was coming down our chimney to give me presents. My parents never played the naughty/nice thing with me or threatened me with Santa. So, I think you can teach about the importance of Christmas and also have the fun with Santa...but there certainly does not need to be a threat of being "good" to get gifts. I still remember Ryan with Ethan and Aaron telling them he saw Santa's sleigh and the wonder in their eyes as they looked out the window....pretty cool.

Mei Day said...

Someone's going to get coal in their stocking.

Kumi said...

Very interesting subject. I may just emphasize the part of real gifts to the Lord and try not mentioned anything about Santa, until kids ask about him. I will explain abut St. Nicholas when kids asked about Santa.

Ye Stewart Clan said...

My husband feels the same way and I used to think he was crazy. But now I understand. It is just weird. It's a weird story.
But just the same when my son started acting up in Target last week I found myself telling him that Santa was watching and that he better start behaving, or else . . .