Monday, February 7, 2011

Beans, Beans, the Musical Fruit...

Last year MamaD posted about the Japanese holiday setsubun, which is the ushering of spring by throwing beans to drive out the evil spirits.

There is so much about this that I love. Scaring away evil spirits ("Go away bad mojo, GO!"), welcoming spring ("PLEASE come soon and warm me up!) and BEANS! Besides throwing beans and yelling "Get out demons, come in happiness!" I'm planning to celebrate by cooking me up some delicious bean-ey treats. One of my favorite dishes is from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking. If you have access to it, I highly recommend "Giant Crusty and Creamy White Beans with Greens", but any of her recipes available on her website 101cookbooks.com will do.

So, my questions for you: what are your favorite bean-ey recipes AND what rituals and superstitions do you have to summon good luck (and keep the icky stuff away)?

No comments: