Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Oishii: Quinoa Squash Casserole

I love kabocha squash and I'm always looking for ways to incorporate more quinoa (and other whole grains) into my diet, so this dish is a favorite of mine. You know my favorite way to eat it? With eggs over easy for breakfast. I love a warm, wholesome start to my day (it beats cold cereal any day!).


Quinoa Squash Casserole
Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped

8-10 mushrooms, sliced (I like to use shiitake)
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed well
2 cups peeled and diced kabocha squash (or any other squash will do)
1 cup chopped kale
2 T fresh parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line bottom of 9x13 casserole dish with chopped kale.
Saute onions in olive oil until soft. Add and saute mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, and garlic for about 5 minutes. Stir in rest of ingredients (except kale) and bring to a boil.
Transfer mixture to casserole dish and cover. Bake until liquid is absorbed, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and fluff with a fork. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 6-8 servings.

The truth is, you can throw in any veggies you have in the crisper - it's great for cleaning out your fridge. Such a versatile dish!

3 comments:

jhitomi said...

wow this does look oishii, and healthy too. I love quinoa and kabocha so I will try this.

Michelle said...

I'm trying to use more quinoa, too. The more protein the better. Have you tried sprouting it? I'm kind-of getting into sprouted grains - the less starch the better. Verdad?

Kumi said...

Please make sure that kabocha is grown in USA. Imported fruit/vegetable have soaked/sprayed post harvest chemicals. (more dangerous than pesticide)