Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Yarn Along: Clean and Checkers

Joining Ginny over at Small Things for my current Yarn Along project:

I'd been looking for a detox in my desperate attempts to nurture myself and jumpstart my fertility efforts (more on that in another post) and my acupuncturist recommended I check out the Clean Program. I ordered the book off Amazon and though I skipped most of the introductory explanation for the cleanse, I've found it to be an extension of my overall food and health philosophy; essentially, avoiding toxins, eating more alkali-forming foods, drinking excessive amounts of water and allowing your body to heal itself. I'm on week two of my cleanse and though it has been enormously challenging I am already noticing many positive effects. I've become much more mindful about what I put into my body and I'm paying more attention to what and how my body is communicating with me. The book is easy to read with lots of bullet points and helpful planning guides and recipes.

Knitting: Checkerboard from Weekend Knitting by Melanie Falick
Using some extra cotton yarn from my stash (one brand is Japanese and the other I lost the label to) I've been working on this cute little checkerboard. It's my first experience with double knitting and I find it easy to do, at least in the checkerboard pattern with two contrasting colors (soft pink and mossy green). Mayumi learned how to play checkers over Christmas holiday and I wanted to give her a unique board. Originally I planned to try sewing one in a quilty-type way, but then I came across this and it has been the perfect project because I can work on it while sitting in church or watching a movie. Now I just have to find some unique playing pieces and knit or sew up a little drawstring bag to carry it all around in!

What are you working on and reading these days?

3 comments:

The Management said...

some little crochet puff petal flowers might be adorable! http://easymakesmehappy.blogspot.com/2010/07/6-petal-puff-stitch-flower.html

Anonymous said...

I think two sorts of seashells would be lovely! I'm working on a baby sweater this week (again).

Sweetness and Light said...

Adorable! All of it and the book looks great! What a fun you three have here too :)