Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Reflections

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
~Confucius




As a mother, I've found that my daughter can be quite an accurate reflection of myself. It warms my heart to see her play pretend with her dolls and bears, swaddling them in blankets, rocking them and nursing them. But other times, it makes me cringe a bit with guilt.

The other day was an example of this: Lucy threw her bear into her room, screamed, "No! Dop!! TIME OUT!!!" then she slammed the door shut and stomped away.

All I was thinking (besides what in the world did her bear do to deserve such punishment) was, "Do I sound like that?" Perhaps I should learn to be a little more gentle with Lucy's time outs.

2 comments:

MamaM said...

This story makes me laugh every time!

MamaQ said...

i have so many cringey moments with mayumi, too. it is amazing how they mimic EVERYTHING you do and say. maya is a mini-me and sometimes that makes me a bit worried!