Monday, February 22, 2010

Meditation: Something's Gotta Give

"All children are artists.  The problem is how to remain an artist once he has grown up."
~Pablo Picasso

Last week when the midatlantic states got hammered with back-to-back blizzards we found ourselves sequestered in our home.  Fortunately Mr. Q didn't have to go into work and we got a lot of unexpected Daddy time.  Mayumi loved it. 

I've noticed that Dads are usually the "fun" parent.  Except for one foray out into the snow, it was always Mr. Q who took Maya out to play.  She spent most of her time indoors with him as well and I took the opportunity to focus on getting other things done around the house.  She was so happy to have someone around who focused completely on her and was such a willing playmate.


It made me realize that I don't do that enough.  Play with her.  I've been getting up early (5:30!) to go to the gym almost every day, so by the time night falls I'm exhausted I usually end of falling asleep with her around 8:30, which leaves no time to get done those mundane chores that are necessary in day-to-day living.  So I find myself trying to keep her distracted long enough for me to complete some other task: she colors while I do dishes, she dances while I fold laundry, she naps while I check my email, etc. Seeing how much she loved her dad's undistracted attention though, I decided to make more of an effort to really focus on playing and creating with her. 

This week has been a struggle to find the right balance: play with my daughter, maintain a functional household, care for myself. But I've been trying to be more responsive to her needs (especially since we are going through the sensitive process of weaning).  When she begs me to come paint with her, instead of putting her off so I can finish my chore-of-the-moment, I stop and dabble in the tempera.  Surely, it has resulted in a bit of a shabbier house.  And some lackluster dinners. 

But some really beautiful collages.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

No comments: