Monday, April 19, 2010

Meditation: Anonymous acts of kindness


"Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out."
~Frank A. Clark

I have no idea who Frank A. Clark is, but I like his thinking!


HubbyM teaches a 45-minute Sunday School class every week at church. It's not necessarily something he enjoys, but he does this because he was asked to. It's challenging and time-consuming for HubbyM to prepare these lessons week after week, but he does it and he does it well. He, however, is often hard on himself and feels that he is a mediocre teacher with much room for improvement.

A few days ago after teaching a class, he felt particularly down about how it had turned out. HubbyM felt he didn't adequately convey his message and that his pupils were bored. So imagine how pleasantly surprised he was when the next day, he found a note taped to our garage door opener thingy that expressed appreciation for what a great teacher he was. HubbyM was touched, but didn't know who to thank because the note was anonymous.

How very kind.

My mother also taught me the value--and fun--of anonymous service. I remember being young and baking lots of pies with my mom (she is an awesome pie maker!), then piling into the car to deliver them to friends and neighbors. She had me put the pie on the doorstep, ring the doorbell, then run away so as not to be discovered.

Such anonymous acts of kindness demonstrate that one is really not doing the act for any recognition, but truly to serve those around them. I've been the recipient of such acts and know I need to do better to pay it forward. And the best part is it can be something as simple as writing a short note to someone who needs it. That's my goal today. Maybe it can be yours too?

No comments: