Monday, April 5, 2010

Meditation: Important Stuff

By MamaQ
I think these difficult times have helped me to understand better than before how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes around worrying about are of no importance whatsoever.
~Isak Dinesen

Worry is almost always a useless activity. It leads to chronic stress, which is toxic for the body. I've found that as I've gotten older and acquired more things and more responsibilities, I worry more and more. Fear has crept into my consciousness and taken this firm grip with its skeletal fingers and sometimes I admit that I make decisions based on what I am afraid to lose. A good friend noticed this about me and wisely counseled that I should never make a decision out of fear, but always out of love.

It's amazing that when you open yourself to love, especially during difficult times, how much more rich life becomes. Rather than gravitate towards complaining and worrying, as I am likely to do, I find my heart bursting with gratitude for the many beautiful things around me. Motherhood becomes less overwhelming. Rather than worry about stains on clothing I can join in the fingerpainting. Rather than worry about my to-do list I can laugh and dance and play with my favorite little person. Things that seem important pale in comparison to enjoying and participating in the joy of childhood and truly connecting with my daughter.

If I die tomorrow I will not regret one single moment I spent loving and enjoying my little girl. But all those other things? Hmmmmm. Life is so fleeting. This is the essence of wabisabi. A little perspective, a few deep breaths, and I'm off to kiss my slumbering angel.

No comments: