Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Meditation: Humility


There is no true and constant gentleness without humility. While we are so fond of ourselves, we are easily offended with others. Let us be persuaded that nothing is due to us, and then nothing will disturb us. Let us often think of our own infirmities, and we will become indulgent towards those of others.
~Francois Fenelon

Humility is a hard habit to cultivate.  And it can be difficult to avoid the pitfall of self-deprecation when striving for humility.  But I like the idea that we should avoid feelings of entitlement or thinking "I deserve such and such." I find I can have more patience with my daughter when I try to put myself in her shoes and understand things from her perspective instead of focusing on my own needs and desires.  I think humility probably comes from truly internalizing those two most important commandments: to love God more than anything and then to love your neighbor as yourself.  Perhaps true humility is really about equality - we give other people the same consideration we give to ourselves.  And this, hopefully, leads to peace in our hearts, peace in our homes, and peace in the world.

2 comments:

Annette said...

What a great meditation for the day. Yes, I try to place myself in my little boy's shoes all the time, especially when he's having tantrums. Usually, I understand where they are coming from, and it helps keep me from losing my temper with him. Thanks for the beautiful thought. I've definitely become a follower.

Kumi said...

I wish I could have matured like you ladies when I was at your age. But it's not too late yet, I will try to be like you.