Monday, June 14, 2010

Meditation: The Star-Spangled Banner


If anyone, then, asks me the meaning of our flag, I say to him - it means just what Concord and Lexington meant; what Bunker Hill meant; which was, in short, the rising up of a valiant young people against an old tyranny to establish the most momentous doctrine that the world had ever known - the right of men to their own selves and to their liberties.
~Henry Ward Beecher
You're a grand ol' flag, you're a high-flying flag and forever in peace may you wave!
You're the emblem of the land I love. The home of the free and the brave.
Every heart beats true 'neath the red, white and blue
where there's never a boast or brag.
But should auld acquaintance be forgot, keep your eye on the grand ol' flag!
~George M. Cohan
I may not always agree with what our country is doing, politically, and I may not approve of some of our cultural practices, but I love this country and I love what the flag symbolizes. As a mama I feel the responsibility to raise my daughter as a patriot, a lover of American history, and an advocate for freedom and justice. Thankfully, she is a lover of music, and patriotic songs are a specialty. Enjoy the serenade, and happy Flag Day!

No comments: