Monday, May 3, 2010

Meditations: A mother's prayer

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~Abraham Lincoln


I, too, remember my mother's prayers for me. Not just the ones she said when we gathered as a family, but the ones she said in her heart. On several occasions, I walked into my mother's bedroom as she knelt in silent prayer. Now I know what she was asking for.

I'm sure she was pleading for the well-being of her children. I know she was asking that we be safe and healthy. I believe she prayed with all her heart for our happiness.

Because like my mother, I pray for these things.

Every mother, whether religious or not, hopes only the best for their child. They would do anything to protect that child. They love with such understated fierceness from the very depths of their souls.

I feel lucky that I was a recipient of the answers to a mother's prayer. Luckier that I have a little one to pray for.

2 comments:

Kumi said...

We really understand what mother is when we become mother, don't we?

MamaQ said...

there were so many times i would go into mom and dad's room and find mom on her knees by te bed in prayer. i'd have to wait 15, 20, even 30 minutes (an eternity back then!) until she'd finished before i could ask her my question. i couldn't understand then why on earth she needed to take so long! but now i kind of get it...
eerily beautiful photo M.