Monday, May 10, 2010

Meditation: Receiving and Giving


Receiving and giving are opposite energies that are inextricably linked together in the natural flow of life, like inhaling and exhaling.  If one aspect of that cycle doesn't function, the entire cycle ceases to function and the life force cannot move freely. If you can't inhale, you will soon have nothing to exhale, and before long, your body will be unable to continue living.

~Shakti Gawain

I have become an ardent advocate of breathing.

I realize that must sound a bit daft, but it truly is the essence of being.  When I meditate during yoga I focus on my breathing.  There is, of course, the physical aspect of inhaling and exhaling, but along with it is the emotional/spiritual aspect of receiving life, vitality, goodness, grace and then releasing anger, frustration, guilt, toxins.  And there is the social aspect of receiving friends and family unconditionally, as they are and then giving love, kindness, service, abundance.  

It blows my mind how so much can be meditated on just by the simple act of breathing.  Both the inhale and the exhale, the yin and the yang, are necessary for survival, in every aspect.

Just something to chew one.  Or breathe on, I guess!

1 comment:

Ye Stewart Clan said...

k. i really loved this. I think partly because when i was puking my guts out in the first trimester i couldn't do anything for myself let alone anything for someone else. and i promised myself when i was better i would try to do more service for others. i was inhaling A LOT. and now that i am able-bodied again i really am trying to do more service. And it feels so good to EXHALE!. Because even if I am tired when in the act of service I don't mind so much because I am so grateful just to be well enough to serve.