Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wiggly Worms

It must be said that I am a worm advocate.  I love those wiggly little subterranean creatures.  I'm quite passionate about them - and as you may have noticed, I'm a bit opinionated so can't help but think that everyone else should love them, too.  If you need a bit of convincing, here are a few reasons why they have won a place in my heart:

1.  VERMICOMPOSTNG
Every household should have one of these:


The little black box tucked behind the plant is my worm bin.


It houses hundreds, if not thousands, of red wiggler worms.


They consume almost all of my fruit and vegetable scraps and then poop it out.


Worm poop is awesome.

2. BOOKS
There are some good books about worms.  I never knew they could be so interesting until I read Amy Stewart's The Earth Moved: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms.  I like Amy Stewart - she is a writer, a nature lover and an artist and she has her own blog called Dirt


We've also enjoyed these books for kids:
Wigglin Worms at Work by Wendy Pfeffer and Steve Jenkins

and Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin and Harry Bliss

and Garden Wigglers: Earthworms in Your Backyard by Nancy Loewen and Rick Peterson.
3. KIDS LOVE THEM
I don't know why (okay, maybe because I have brainwashed her) but my daughter loves worms, too.

I don't have any more reasons. I feel as though these are enough. Let me know if I've convinced you...

3 comments:

MamaM said...

Those books look cute. I want a worm house, but I only keep a garden during the summer, so what do I do with the poo for the rest of the year? And would it stink up my garage if I kept it in there?

Ye Stewart Clan said...

I loved this post because it made me want to have my own compost too. But the picture of all those worms devouring everything made my pregnant self want to vomit. LOL :)

Esther said...

We have tons of worms too. we don't have a compost box but a pile in the backyard that has lots of worms in it. We have worms all over our garden spot. Too bad Hannah won't touch them, she refuses to hold an small wiggling thing, not even a frog or a turtle. How do you get them to like worms?