Friday, May 7, 2010

Oishii: Sweet Potatoes!

Occasionally someone will ask me what kinds of food I feed Mayumi, as though I have some secret Japanese magic that I'm keeping all to myself.  The truth is, Mayumi has always been a pretty good eater and we've always been good about cooking and offering her a variety of healthy, interesting food.  In general, she eats what we eat, and even if she doesn't like something, we continue to offer it to her (but never force her!) because sometimes she'll surprise us and start to like it.

But maybe I do have a few tricks up my sleeve.  One of our favorite snacks is an inspiration from my friend, Ginger, who introduced me to the wonders and deliciousness of coconut oil.  When you combine it with sweet potatoes and a bit of salt, you can't go wrong.

Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Chips
Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes, any kind (the orange-fleshed one pictured below is a garnet sweet potato and the white-fleshed one is a Japanese sweet potato.  we love them both.)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Wash, peel and slice the sweet potatoes.
Spread two tablespoons of coconut oil on a rimmed baking sheet.
Arrange the sweet potatoes on a single layer on the sheet.
Sprinkle with salt to taste (you don't need much).
Bake for about 20 minutes and then flip the potatoes to the other side and cook for 10 minutes longer.
Serve and enjoy!



No comments: