Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Skin Protection

It is already like summer in my neck of the woods and we've been enjoying almost every minute of it outside.  That warm sunshine feels so good on my skin, but I know better...

We lather up every time we go outside.  I'm already starting to show signs of sun damage - wrinkles, spots, etc. - from all my years of careless sun exposure.  I can't stand the thought of my fair-skinned daughter facing the same fate.  But while I hate all those chemical-laden products out there, the so-called "natural" stuff is so pricey and I wonder if it as effective?  I'm not sure, but here are a few that I've tried:


My hands-down favorite is Dr. Hauschka Sunscreen Cream for Children and Sensitive Skin (the middle tube) but apparently they don't sell it anymore.  Both the Burt's Bees and the Little Twig creams are fine, though they're a bit thick and leave a whitish film on your skin.  But they seem to work and that's the important thing. 

Is there a sunblock that you'd recommend?  I'm up for trying something new, but at $20-30 a tube, it's quite an investment!  But worth it!

4 comments:

Ye Stewart Clan said...

My favorite is Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Body Mist Sunblock. It is expensive ($10 a bottle) but it so easy to apply on me and my squirmy kid and it is SPF 70. They also make one that is SPF 100 believe it or not. I love the feel of the product because it isn't creamy and really sprays like a mist.

Anonymous said...

You should look into "Kiss the Face" products. They are a cheaper organic alternative to the other brands you listed. Whole Foods sells them, along with a whole organic make-up line that works really, really well for my skin.

Kumi said...

How about hand-made cosmetics-sanders perry Sunscreen Lotion (SPF16.PA++)

http://www.sandersperry.net/skincare_e.html

MamaD said...

I have Arbonne that I received as a gift for Lucy last year but I haven't tried it yet. Hope it doesn't spoil or anything because the pool opens up in two weeks - wanna come out and visit?